Omega-3's and Athletic Performance
Next Level Podcast with Host Tavis Piattoly, MS, RD, LD
Bill Harris, MD
Dr. Harris is a Senior Scientist at Health Diagnostic Laboratory; a Professor in the Department of Medicine, Sanford School of Medicine, University of South Dakota; and the President and CEO of OmegaQuant.
Dr. Bill Harris is an internationally recognized expert on omega-3 fatty acids and how they can benefit patients with heart disease and their role in athletic performance. He has been the recipient of five NIH grants for studies on the effects of omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) on human health. He has over 150 publications relating to omega-3 fatty acids in medical literature and was an author on two American Heart Association scientific statements on fatty acids: “Fish Consumption, Fish Oil, Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Cardiovascular Disease” (2002), and “Omega-6 Fatty Acids and Risk for Cardiovascular Disease” (2009) both published in the journal Circulation. In 2004, Dr. Harris and his colleague Dr. Clemens von Schacky, a cardiology researcher in Munich, Germany, proposed that the Omega-3 Index be considered a new risk factor for cardiovascular disease, and in 2009 Dr. Harris founded OmegaQuant, LLC, to offer the test to researchers, clinicians and the public. In 2011, the HS-Omega-3 Index® technology was acquired by Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Inc., Richmond, VA where the test is now performed for medical clients. OmegaQuant continues to perform fatty acid analysis in Sioux Falls, SD for commercial and academic researcher collaborators. Dr. Harris is a Senior Scientist at Health Diagnostic Laboratory; a Professor in the Department of Medicine, Sanford School of Medicine, University of South Dakota; and the President and CEO of OmegaQuant.
In this episode you will learn:
1) What are the key Omega 3’s that are beneficial to our health and athletic peformance.
2) Can Omega 3’s play an important role in athletic performance
3) What are the different types of Omega 3 fatty acids
4) How can consumers determine if the Fish Oil they are taking is good quality
5) What are the recommended dosages for optimal health
6) Is there an Upper Limit of taking Fish Oil
7) Can Fish Oil assist in Fat Loss
8) Are there any side effects of taking too much Fish Oil
9) How is Krill Oil different from Fish Oil