Nutrition Periodization for Endurance Athletes
Next Level Podcast with Host Tavis Piattoly, MS, RD, LD
Bob Seebohar, MS, RD, CSSD, CSCS, METS
Bob is a Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics, the former Director of Sports Nutrition for the University of Florida and most recently served as a sport dietitian for the US Olympic Committee.
Nutrition periodization is matching your nutrition intake to your annual schedule. A topic Bob Seebohar specializes in. Bob is a Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics, the former Director of Sports Nutrition for the University of Florida and most recently served as a sport dietitian for the US Olympic Committee. Bob traveled to the 2008 Summer Olympic Games as a sport dietitian for the US Olympic Team and the personal sport dietitian for the Olympic Triathlon Team.
Bob has a bachelor's degree in Exercise and Sports Science, a master's degree in Health and Exercise Science and a second master's degree in Food Science and Human Nutrition. He is a registered dietitian, exercise physiologist, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist and a High Performance Triathlon Coach. As a nutrition coach, Bob specializes in enhancing health and improving performance by improving metabolic efficiency and using nutrition periodization, which provides varying nutrition recommendations to each specific athlete based on training cycle changes and body composition and weight goals.
Bob has worked with a variety of athletes from sports including triathlon, duathlon, ultra-running/cycling, track and field, marathon, mountain biking, road and track cycling, cross country, swimming, football, tae kwon do, motocross, tennis, wrestling, weightlifting, rowing, skeleton, sailing, paralympic sailing, canoeing and kayaking. He has worked with all ages and abilities of athletes including high schoolers/juniors, recreationally active adults, professional athletes and Olympians. Bob currently consults as a sport dietitian for US Sailing (Olympic and Paralympic sailors) and the USA Triathlon National Team.
Practicing what he preaches, Bob has been an athlete his entire life growing up playing competitive soccer. In 1993 he turned to endurance sports and has competed in many endurance events including the Boston Marathon, six Ironman races, the Leadville 100 mile trail race, the Leadville 100 mile mountain bike race and in 2009, Bob became a Leadman, completing all six of the Leadville endurance events in 7 weeks. Currently, he is specializing in short course triathlon training and competition to see how fast he can get!
In this podcast you will learn:
- Bob's career choice and what made him want to become a Sports Dietitian?
- What lead him to having a passion for working with Endurance Athletes?
- Nutrition Periodization and how it applies to athletes?
- Metabolic Efficiency Training?
- Bob’s unique dietary experiment on himself?
- The challenges of switching from a mostly plant based diet to a high fat, higher protein and lower carb approach, especially while training?
- If his personal experiment is something he applies to his clients and athletes?
- Any supplements he recommends to his endurance athletes to assist in performance, recovery and hydration?
- Tips on the importance of nutrition and how it impacts a young athlete’s performance?