Drug and Supplement Testing in Sports
Next Level Podcast with Host Tavis Piattoly, MS, RD, LD
Bob Murray, PhD, FACSM
Managing principal of Sports Science Insights, LLC, a consulting group that assists companies and organizations in need of targeted expertise in exercise science and sports nutrition.
Bob Murray, PhD, FACSM is managing principal of Sports Science Insights, LLC, a consulting group that assists companies and organizations in need of targeted expertise in exercise science and sports nutrition. SSI’s clients range from start-ups to Fortune 100 companies. Dr. Murray is also the Aegis Shield Scientific Director for the Aegis Sciences Corporation. Aegis Shield is an educational resource (website and mobile app) that helps keep athletes clean and in the game by identifying banned substances in dietary supplements.
Dr. Murray was the co-founder of the Gatorade Sports Science Institute and its director from 1985 to 2008. Dr. Murray’s research on the hydration needs of athletes and the physiological and performance responses to fluid, carbohydrate, and electrolyte ingestion contributed to the broader understanding of the importance of being well hydrated during exercise and of the role that carbohydrates and electrolytes play in helping athletes and nonathletes alike get the most out of their bodies during physical activity.
Bob served on the faculties of Boise State University (1980-1985; Associate Professor), Ohio State University (1979-1980; Lecturer), and Oswego State University (1974-1977; Assistant Professor and Men’s Swimming & Diving Coach). Bob received his PhD in exercise physiology from Ohio State University, is a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, and an honorary member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
In this podcast you will learn:
1. Who Aegis Shield is and the type of testing they offer?
2. Bob's role with Aegis Shield.
3. Aegis’ new phone app that helps athletes detect banned substances in supplements.
4. Bob’s concerns with high school athletes taking supplements.
5. Product adulteration.
6. Common supplements that test positive for banned substances.
7. Aegis’ new 3rd party testing program.
8. What separates Aegis from other 3rd party testing companies.
9. The supplement testing business in 10 years.
10. Micro-dosing of Performance Enhancing Drugs and testing protocols to detect it.
11. Aegis’ partnership with the Taylor Hooton Foundation.