Produce for Performance:The Benefits of Plant-Based Diets for Athletes
Next Level Podcast with Host Tavis Piattoly, MS, RD, LD
Leslie J. Bonci, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
Owner of Active Eating Advice, a nutrition consulting company. She is the nutrition consultant for the Kansas City Chiefs, Carnegie Mellon University athletics and the Pittsburgh Ballet Theater.
Leslie J. Bonci, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN, is the owner of Active Eating Advice, a nutrition consulting company. She is the nutrition consultant for the Kansas City Chiefs, Carnegie Mellon University athletics and the Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre. She was previously the sports dietitian for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Blue Jays, the Washington Nationals and the WNBA. Leslie is the author of Sport Nutrition for Coaches and a former spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She is an adjunct instructor in the school of dental medicine at the University of Pittsburgh and lectures extensively at universities and corporations. Leslie is a paid partner of Potatoes USA.
In this Podcast you will Learn:
- What are plant-based diets and how should you advise your athletes on them?
- Why should athletes increase the amount of vegetables in their diet?
- What vegetables may help reduce inflammation?
- How do vegetables support the healing and/or recovery process?
- How do you help athletes understand the importance of eating vegetables and help them incorporate more into their diets?
- How can parents be creative when it comes to helping their younger athletes eat more vegetables?
- What are the key nutrients in potatoes that help fuel performance?
- Is there a nutritional difference between white potatoes and sweet potatoes?
- What special potato recipes or preparation styles can athletes try to fuel their bodies?
- Are there health and performance benefits of transitioning from a meat-based diet to a plant-based diet?
- Is it more difficult to get adequate protein when following a plant-based diet?
- What are some of the best sources of protein if someone decides to go vegan or strictly plant based?
- Are there any concerns with an athlete going plant-based?
Links and Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Potatoes Fuel Performance Infographic
- Nutrition Comparison White Potato Vs. Sweet Potato Infographic
- Potato Power Recipe Booklet
- Potato Ingestion Is As Effective As Carbohydrate Gels To Support Prolonged Cycling Performance (full text manuscript from the Journal of Applied Physiology)
- Produce for Performance: The Benefits of Plant-Based Diets for Athletes Webinar
This episode was done in partnership with Potatoes USA and we thank them for their sponsorship and support.