Sports Nutrition for the Major League Baseball Player
Next Level Podcast with Host Tavis Piattoly, MS, RD, LD
MLB, Pittsburgh Pirates
Mark Melancon was drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 30th round of the 2003 Major League Baseball draft. He declined the offer so that he could attend the University of Arizona. Mark is currently a pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates of Major League Baseball (MLB). Tavis talks to Mark about his journey and the role nutrition has played in his success.
In this Podcast You Will Learn:
- How does Mark stay in shape during the off-season?
- When did he discover Nutrition as an important piece of the training puzzle?
- What blood markers does Mark gets tested to assess his health and performance?
- Type of changes he makes to his diet based on blood markers?
- The challenges MLB players face during a 162 game season?
- Difficulty of eating healthy during a season?
- Mark’s diet during game day?
- Pre-Game Superstitions?
- How does he adjust his intake on night’s when he pitches, especially late night as a closer?
- How he ensures the supplement he may take are clean and tested?
- Mark’s supplement protocol?
Links and Resources Mentioned in this Episode: